Saturday , December 15 2018
Home / General News / Rejected’ immigration job seekers share regret, disappointment

Rejected’ immigration job seekers share regret, disappointment

BY LOIS DOGBE, INTERN GIJ


THE GHANA Immigration Service (GIS) last year announced that the service was embarking on a recruitment exercise and this communiqué was shared on all the national media outlets.

After the public announcement, it emerged that over 15, 000 young Ghanaians applicants purchased the forms, but to the disappointment of many, only 500 of the applicants were selected or picked for the next phase of the exercise.

The decision to recruit only 3.3% of the applicants has led to massive backlash towards the Service. The public has expressed its disappointments over the exercise, especially the many that applied and were never given the opportunity to serve their nation as their wish had been.

Deputy Ranking Member of the Parliamentary Committee on Employment, Mr Richard Quashigah, described the Immigration Service’s mode of recruitment as fraudulent, and one that was meant to exploit desperate job seekers.

He, however, urged persons whose applications were denied to drag the GIS to court over their GH¢50 initial payment.

Meanwhile, the Head of Public Affairs at the service, Supt Michael Amoako-Atta, said the Service did no wrong with the sale of voucher cards as the money generated will be used to cater for the costs incurred during the recruitment process.

“We were using facilities of GCB and they are going to charge us and it is going to come from this GH¢50. Every phase of the process, like today, we have rented the venues across the country and we are paying monies for it.

“We are paying for logistics, ambulances; we are also going to pay for the marking of scripts. We are going to pay for the software we are using and other things along the line.

“Currently, I don’t know the percentage that will be coming from GIS. We might even delve into our own IGF until the process is over. We have to also pay for cleaning of the centres as well,” he told the media.

Rejected applicants traumatized

A host of the applicant have expressed varied degree of trauma; for instance, a victim who only gave his name as Anthony and 20 years of age in the Volta Region, shared his feelings to the DAILY HERITAGE, saying he was disappointed not to get the opportunity to serve in the Service, especially when they promised “a fair and transparent recruitment,” adding “I, however, hope for a brighter tomorrow after being rejected.”

Maame Akua, 23, who also fell victim to the Recruitment process, shared her experience, describing the GIS as “uncouth” although she confessed that she did not qualify per the criteria.

‘‘I am disappointed in the Service for selling extra e-voucher cards, as they knew they had only limited space to occupy their offices.”

 

About michael adjei

Check Also

Korle-Bu hospital, others sued by interdicted directors

TWO INTERDICTED Directors of the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital have filed a suit at the Human …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *