Friday , November 16 2018
Breaking News
Home / Sports / GWBF calls off Friday’s demonstration

GWBF calls off Friday’s demonstration

SPORTS DESK

GHANA WHEELCHAIR Basketball Federation (GWBF) has called on all wheelchair basketball players in the country to put on hold the intended demonstration which is to come off on Friday, June 15, 2018.

This is contained in a press release issued in Accra signed by the Acting Director General (DG) of the National Sports Authority (NSA) and representatives of GWBF in the persons of Mr Wilson Agbesi Yao, who is the General Secretary of the federation and Treasurer of National Paralympic Committee; and Botsyo Nkegbe, the national captain; and national coach, Elvis Alipu, and copied to the DAILY HERITAGE.

According to the release, the decision to put on hold the proposed demonstration has become necessary after an emergency meeting that took place on Sunday between the Acting Director General of the NSA and the General Secretary of the GWBF.

The Acting DG called for the emergency meeting upon directive from the Minister of Youth and Sports, Mr Isaac Asiamah, who had met with the Executive Board of the GWBF last Wednesday so that the issue could be resolved to the satisfaction of all.

“With these quick intervention by the Acting Director General, who is very much concerned about Para sports and as well have the listening ear for problems facing para-sports and very much determined to see para-sports given the needed support it deserved. The GWBF has considered it very urgent in asking that the demonstration should be put on hold with alacrity till further notice,” the release said.

The release said further development would be communicated to all stakeholders after a meeting between the Minister and his team this Wednesday to solve the issue once and for all.

Information picked by the DAILY HERITAGE suggests that the intended demonstration was due to the Sports Ministry’s inability to fulfil a promise to the Federation, which forced the federation to withdrawn from the African Championship last year in Durban South.

The withdrawal attracted a fine from the International Wheelchair Basketball Federation (IWBF) after the Ministry promised to pay a fine that the decision to withdraw at late hour would attract.

However, IWBF has given GWBF up to Sunday, June 17, 2018, to settle the debt, which is $14, 000 or face a sanction or ban from all IWBF-related activities.

They went ahead to say that the Ministry had not shown any commitment in fulfilling their promise, hence the decision to storm the streets and press the Ministry to go by their word and also match to the Jubilee House to present a petition to the President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo.

Source: www.dailyheritage.com.gh

About michael adjei

Check Also

JL Properties family games held at Kisseman

BY MUNTALLA INUSAH  |   muntalla.inusah@dailyheritage.com.gh THE KISSEMAN Sports Complex was a sight to behold for …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *