IT IS indeed heartwarming to learn that as many as 90,000 applicants of the Nation Builders Corps (NABCO) Programme have accepted their placements in all seven modules of the programme across the country.
NABCO was launched by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo as part of efforts to reduce graduate unemployment.
The seven modules under NABCO are meant to help address the challenges facing the nation’s most pressing sectors while providing jobs to graduates who are unable to find jobs.The successful applicants have been put on Civic Ghana, Revenue Ghana, Educate Ghana, Enterprise Ghana, Digitise Ghana, Heal Ghana and Feed Ghana modules of the programme.
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of NABCO, Dr Anyars Ibrahim in a media interview said the remaining 10,000 applicants are expected to finalise their documentation and subsequent acceptance of their placements by Friday, October 5, 2018.
On the status of the remaining applicants, the CEO said the secretariat had to device some measures of professional verification for applicants of the Heal Ghana and Feed Ghana modules, but added that the needed checks and verifications had been done and the applicants successfully posted.
The expected 100,000 applicants would be outdoored on October 17 by President Akufo-Addo.
Though the applicants would exit the programme in three years, the opportunity given them by the government should be enough for these graduates to start life from somewhere.
Indeed, being in the house jobless under harsh economic conditions is worse than being given the opportunity to earn a living.
We, therefore, commend the President for such a progressive intervention in the fight against graduate unemployment which has plagued the country for many years.