BY MUNTALLA INUSAH | firstname.lastname@example.org
THE MUCH anticipated Closed Season aimed at replenishing the fishing stock in the country begins today following the symbolic ceremony at Winneba to officially close the Sea from today May 15 to June 15, 2019.
The official ceremony performed by the Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture Development Mrs Elizabeth Afoley Quaye together with her deputy also saw officials of the Fisheries Commission, chief Fishermen as well as fisherfolks thronged the area to witness the symbolic exercise.
Mrs Quaye in her addressing the people said the Act that endorses Closed Season was passed some 17 years ago, urged the fisherfolk to strictly adhere to the closed season to make it effective.
She said its implementation today makes it historic. She however called on fisherfolks to respect the directives accordingly for a successful closed season.
“We want to see a very high level of compliance because last year, we were all here when the fishermen complained that we hadn’t had enough consultation with them and, so, by using the word voluntary, what I mean is that we wanted them to do it out of their own will. [The closed season] is a management measure that we are implementing and we will need their compliance, their support, to be able to implement it fully,” she intimated.
The ban on fishing announced by the Ministry of Fisheries and Aquaculture Development and the Fisheries Commission takes effect from today, Wednesday, 15 May 2019. The closed season period is aimed at achieving sustainable fishing and also helping replenish the depleting fish stock in the sea sub-sector due to overexploitation and bad fishing practices.
The ministry, in consultation with the various stakeholders, agreed to impose the ban in two phases for inshore and artisanal fishers from 15 May to 30 June; and industrial fishers from 1 August to 30 September.