BY MUNTALLA INUSAH
THE CIRCUIT Court in Accra has adjourned the case in which a private security man, Bless Amedegbe, alias Don Dada Bless, 24, has been charged with assualt on President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to May 28, 2020.
Amedegbe had earlier been arraigned without a lawyer and remanded in custody to appear In court today.
However, in the court presided over by His Honour Emmanuel Essandoh today, he was represented by counsel Yaw Danquah, who (lawyer) said he had had conference with the accused person.
According to him, he had applied for the records of the previous proceedings to be able to represent his client well but he was yet to receive the records.
He subsequently prayed for adjournment to enable him to get the records and scrutinise them before retruning to court.
His Honour Mr Essandoh remanded the accused again to reappaer on Thursday, May 28, 2020.
Amedegbe has been slapped with two charges of circulating false communication and assault on a public officer contrary to sections 76 (1) of the Electronic Communication Act, 2008 (Act 775) and section 205 (A) of the Criminal and Ither Iffences amAct 1960, Act 29, respectively.
The brief facts of the case as presented to the court were that the complainant is an operative of the Bureau of National Communication, National Security,?????? while the accused person is a private security guard of VIP Security Company and lives at Mamobi.
The prosecutor explained that during the month of April, 2020, when President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo had imposed lockdown in the Greater Accra and Greater Kumasi areas to curtail the spread of Covid-19, the accused made a video of himself and circulated same via YouTube and Whatsap platforms to the general public to defy the President’s Executive Orders.
According to the prosecutor, the accued did so on the grounds that the lockdown and social distancing for Covid-19 was a hoax, deliberately made by the President to deceive the public and allow the telecommunications companies to install 5G networks which causes death.
“The accused,” he said, “further incited the public to rise up against His Excellency the President and to set his personal house ablaze.
“The accused, in his self-made video, again incited the public to kill any police officer executing the Covid-19 duties.
He addded that, on May 12, 2020, the accused person was tracked and arrested.
He admitted it in his investigation caution statement to having made and circulated misleading video on his Whatsap and YouTube platforms.
“After investigation, the accused was charged with the offences before the court.”