Tuesday , December 1 2020
Home / Business / Western Togoland case: Accused persons ‘murmur’ in court over 2 weeks adjournment

Western Togoland case: Accused persons ‘murmur’ in court over 2 weeks adjournment

THE SET of 29 accused persons who have been slapped with seven charges including treason felony in the ongoing Western Togoland case were left frustrated as they were heard murmuring in court when their remand warrant was renewed for further two weeks.

At a heavily packed courtroom, lawyers of the accused persons had prayed the court to grant bail to the accused persons, but the court declined.

To this end, the lawyers urged the court to remand the accused to one week to allow the prosecution to deal with their investigations instead of the usual two weeks for remand.

“My Lord the state has all the resources available to deal with the matter without keeping the accused persons. The prosecution is not interrogating them, but they say their officers are still in the Bush. I don’t think they deserved to be kept for more than one week,” one of the lawyers urged the court

But the court presided over Her Honour Rosemary Baah Tosu said “let’s give them (prosecution) two weeks”.

At this point, all the accused persons in the courtroom expressed their unhappy concern and were heard murmuring, Starr News’ Court Correspondent Murtala Inusah reports.

State not interested in keeping innocent people

In court on Wednesday, State prosecutors in the case told the Circuit Court in Accra that, “the state is not interested in chasing innocent people.”

Prosecution led by Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Sylvester Asare told the court that “officers of the state are not sleeping” and have been deployed into the bush in their attempt to conclude investigations.

He therefore prayed the court to remand the accused persons for further two weeks for prosecution to continue with their investigations.

“My Lord, we are still conducting further investigations and !y Lord, we cannot say that there is unreasonable delay in cases of treason felony, he told the coirt. The state is using all available resources to put finality to the matter.

Situation so far

So far, 78 persons have been arraigned in the volta secessionists saga. Out of the number 25 have been set free while 53 are still in court. The 53 have been splitter into two groups 29 and 24.

Accused persons

The 29 accused persons facing trial are Nene Kwaku Agblorm ll, Ernest Kpevu, Devine Seddoh, Bright Klutsey, Selasi Gbadago, Gilbert Nyadzino, Benjamin Gabadago, Felix Sosa, Lawrence Nyadzinor and Excel Liberty Aheto Luegbesika.

Others are Divine Nyadzinor, Godwin Awudza, William Amenor, Agbemenya Dotse, Louise Nyadzinor, Mawulolo Ahorble, and Fiave Joeffery.

The rest are George Akweti, Noah Ahiatorgah, Samuel Gbolomo, Raphael Tettevi, James Nanewortor, Abednego Dzreke Mawuena, Emmanuel Hayford Afedo, Isaac Kwesi Afeku, Richard Adria, Prosper Avumenyi, John Korbla Gbedena and Stephen Asime.

Charges

They have been charged with conspiracy to commit crime, participating in the campaign of a prohibited organisation, treason felony, causing unlawful damage and rioting with weapons.

Brief facts

The brief facts of the case as presented to the court by ASP Asare were that the suspects were members of a prohibited organisation, namely Western Togoland Foundation and related organizations.

ASP Asare told the court that, the core objective of both groups was to separate a section of the easternmost part of the entire country, said to have been described by them as Western Togoland, and then usurp the executive powers of Ghana.

According to the prosecutor, the group had its stronghold in the Volta Region, with pockets of followers across the towns, namely Osuwem, Juapong, Volo, Mamfe, Bator, Mepe, Aveyime, Ho, among others.

ASP Asare told the couet that sometimes in September, a collective decision was made by the executive and members of Western Togoland at Afife to organise and riot and block the two major roads at Juapong and also attack drivers at the State Transport Corporation terminal at Ho and rob them of their buses.

The prosecutor said at about 1 a.m. on September 25, 2020, the members of the group, dressed in Western Togoland T-shirts and armed with offensive weapons, including guns, machetes, among others, blocked the Juapong- Akuse road at Abotoase junction and Juapong-Accra road at Akrade near the Customs check point.

Source: Ghana/Dailyheritage.com.gh/Murtala Inusah

About Daily Heritage

Check Also

Dec polls: Court dismisses Kofi Gane suit against EC

THE CRIMINAL  Division of the Accra High Court presided over by Justice El-Freda Denkyi has …

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com